It simply will not fit into an ordinary apartment left without a special idea: it is an elegant, extravagant solution that looks strange next to the usual sofas, beds, and somehow picked up chairs. To make it look, you have to make an effort.
But it's worth it. The wicker chair suspended from the ceiling or wiggle on a pedestal will be a place for children to play, an excellent cozy nest for tired adults. On it you can nap, read a book, watch TV or work with a laptop - and beauty and originality are attached to convenience.
Very convenient for free leisure
The main thing is to choose (or do it yourself) such a chair that you like.
Advantages and disadvantages
Any thing has pluses with minuses.
Its advantages are as follows:
- Strength. For a suspended chair this is perhaps the most important item, and a rattan chair is no exception. Despite its apparent fragility, coupled with real ease, it is able to withstand a weight of up to one hundred kilograms - and if it has a steel frame, then even one hundred fifty.
- Flexibility. Of course, the rattan wicker cannot be compared with expensive orthopedic seats, but it still partially changes its shape, adjusting to the weight, posture, and position of the body of a perished person.
- Ease. Weaving natural rattan weighs about twenty kilograms, artificial - a little more. This weight will withstand a special support, ceiling mount, a tree branch. Moreover, the chair will simply move from one place to another - it does not need the services of porters.
- Ease of care. Artificial rattan is wiped with a dry cloth, cleaned with a vacuum cleaner or, if it is very dirty, washed with warm water. Natural rattan is coated with varnish or a special polishing compound - and then also cleaned with a cloth or vacuum cleaner.
- Durability. Rattan not only can withstand up to forty years of operation (it happens that even more - with good external conditions and constant care), but also does not deform with daily use. It can not be forced through - the form will remain the same, even if an adult man sits in it every day.
- Decorative together with a large assortment. Elegant weaving of natural wood looks aesthetically pleasing, fits well with classic interiors, eco style, Provence, modern. And the fact that artificial rattan can be performed in any color only adds to the possibilities for fitting into the interior.
- Security. Rattan is environmentally friendly, does not emit harmful substances into the air, has no sharp corners, which can be hit, you can not throw a hand on it. In addition, when used as a swing, you can position it so low above the floor that even if the swinging one falls, it will not cause him any injury.
Very easy to clean
The design can be supplemented with accessories, lay pillows, paint - give it a personality that will make it different from all the other rattan chairs in the world. This is also a plus.
But there are also disadvantages:
- Difficulties with fitting into the interior. Yes, for classics with eco-rattan is suitable, but in hi-tech, baroque, gothic will look alien.
- Problems with installation. If it is not portable, on a support, then it can be difficult to mount it to the ceiling - you will have to drill it. In addition, if you later want to move it to another place, you will need to spend energy on mounting again, and there will be ugly marks on the ceiling.
- Problems with the place. If it is not attached to the ceiling, then it is bulky, occupies a decent part of the room, pulls all the attention to itself. In a small room just do not put it, because it will make it visually very tiny.
- Price. The design is really reliable, with an interesting design, comfortable costing a lot of money - unless, of course, is not made of artificial rattan.
Sometimes hard to fit into the interior
A rattan chair is a thing that requires an individual approach. In one interior, the pros will easily outweigh the cons, in the other - the opposite.BoardBefore deciding which one you need to make it from natural or artificial material, what form to give it - draw the decor of your room, and then write it into it. There is a chance that already in the figure it will become clear - the interior is rejecting innovation, you need to look for another solution. Return to the menu
Which material is better - artificial or natural?
Natural rattan is a stem of a tropical plant, processed, dried, brought to Russia from Asia. He has advantages, which artificial is deprived:
- Flexibility. The form of the body takes a much better natural material - flexible stems sag, without breaking, under the weight of the human body.
- Naturalness Rattan does not smell of synthetics, it looks good even untreated, does not pollute the environment during disposal, does not cause allergies.
- Ease of processing. It is easy to paint it - sanding the stems is enough, put a layer of paint on them and treat it with varnish on top.
Suspended to the ceiling on the terrace
These are specific advantages that artificial material does not have. In addition, there is a purely aesthetic feature - the support of natural rattan can be made from the old trunk of the same rattan. It will look amazing.
Specific disadvantages, however, are also available:
- Fear of moisture. Like any tree, rattan is afraid of water - if it is not indoors, every year it must be treated with special compounds. But this does not guarantee that it will not rot, does not swell, or lose its shape.
- Fear of biological threats. Parasite bugs, fungus - a natural material may well suffer in front of them.
- Fear of the sun. From exposure to ultraviolet light, fade.
- Fear of mechanical damage. Scratches, chips, cracks are noticeable on the surface of the rattan.
Natural rattan does not fade in the sun
Artificial rattan does not grow anywhere - in fact, it is a flexible polymer melted and passed through holes of a certain diameter. The result is a thin plastic bundles suitable for weaving.
Chairs made from them have specific advantages that natural material lacks:
- Reliability. Plastic is not afraid of moisture, sun or wind - you can forget it under the open sky for the whole season, as a result it will not fade, deform, rot, will not be destroyed by pests.
- Resistant to mechanical damage. Even if a scratch remains on the material, it will not be too noticeable due to its specificity.
- Ease of care. Plastic can be washed with water, detergents, even rub off stains with alcohol - nothing will happen to it.
- A variety of coloring. Natural rattan is always the same color - the color of the tree. The only thing that can be different is the shade. But plastic can easily be given any color that will last for years.
The material is resistant to mechanical damage.
There is one more plus, which, however, is rarely seen - some of the plastic seats are made using recycled material. Finding such a design in Russian stores is not easy, but then you can tell guests that about two hundred plastic bottles went to this chair.
There are also specific disadvantages:
- Heaviness There is natural rattan - a fairly light material, then it does not apply to plastic. To move it from place to place, you will need to apply force.
- Smell. Plastic smells - a faint synthetic smell that can strongly annoy people with a developed sense of smell. Moreover, if the plastic is made in violation of technology, it can emit not only the smell, but also harmful substances.
- Price. Synthetics are always cheaper, but there is a chance that an artificial rattan chair will cost more due to transportation and fixing problems.
Not afraid of the sun, moisture or wind
In addition to the pros and cons that are important during operation, there are also differences by which you can navigate in the choice of material:
- thanks to industrial production, plastic is always ideally smooth, while on the surface of natural rattan there are visible streaks, cracks, traces of knots;
- plastic harnesses are always of the same size - natural rattan from one end is thinner, from the other it is thicker, which can be played up in the design;
- each weaving of natural rattan is different from the others due to the fact that all the harnesses are at least a little, but different, whereas the plastic is always ideally correct.
The desired piece of furniture in any apartment or house
Natural rattan is well suited for indoor use:
- it is light enough not to affect the ceiling plate;
- it is aesthetic enough to diversify any interior;
- in the conditions of the room, it will not collide with moisture, sun and parasites - most likely.
And the artificial shows itself well on the street:
- resistant to virtually all possible influences;
- garden design is less demanding on materials than room design.
Perfectly behaves on the street
However, no one forbids you to ignore the recommendations and hang out of an artificial rattan, for example, in the living room.BoardIf you decide to hang the product out of natural material on the street, do not forget to treat it with anti-parasite products, from exposure to moisture and sunlight. Return to menu
The shape of the seats and their mounting
In addition to the different material, it is important to take into account the fact that the chairs also have a different shape - and each of them looks different in its own way, feels differently, offers its own convenience.
Armchair-cocoon in the interiorreturn to menu ↑
Equipped with everything that a regular chair has: a back, armrests, and seats. In fact, it does not differ from floor models, it is simply devoid of legs and is suspended from the ceiling. The main plus is comfort. You can lean back (which will easily bend under your weight, taking the most comfortable position), put your hands on the armrests and relax. Some of these chairs also have a footrest, which turns them, in fact, into a hanging chaise. Classics are great for those who respect the traditional forms of things and like to relax after a long day.return to menu ↑
The wicker seat, which has fastenings on both sides - in fact, repeats the usual yard swings, but with a claim to finesse. It will not work to relax, but children will be delighted - it is only important that these children are old enough not to fall from a structure that does not have a holder for them. It is best to look in the garden, attached to a branch of a tree, but the interior in the style of a loft or eco also decorate. On the supports are not found.return to menu ↑
She's a nest. It has a wide flat base, low sides. The backrest in the design is most often neglected - it is supposed to sit still not leaning back, but picking up legs under itself, in Turkish. It can swing in different directions, and also twist around its axis, which, again, will appeal to children.
In the form of a hemisphere for homereturn to menu ↑
Ball or hemisphere
It is a wicker ball, partially cut so that you can sit in it. There are models for both, and for one. The back, as such, is not, as well as the armrests, because the design is closed - in order to get comfortable in it, pillows that can be put under the back will be useful.return to menu ↑
Essentially the same ball, just stretched up. This does not particularly affect the convenience, only the appearance - such a chair really resembles a wicker egg.return to menu ↑
The most comfortable model looks like a wicker cocoon in the form of a drop, similar to an egg, but with a sharp tip. It can be both open and closed - then it is no longer a chair, but a kind of "house" into which you need to climb through the hole. The first option is good for reclining in it, doing work or reading a book, and the second option will delight children, especially if they do not have their own room. Its privacy can be emphasized by closing the wicker walls with blankets.
Universal model in the form of a chair swing
Whatever the form, it needs to be fixed.
There are two ways to do this:
- Ceiling mount. Requires calculation - you need to know in advance how the suspended chair will affect the ceiling plate. Not feasible with certain types of ceilings (for example, with stretch ceilings). It leaves the chair stationary - it will be difficult to move it to another place, you will have to mount the mount there as well. If the weight, coupled with the weight of the person sitting does not exceed one hundred kilograms, an anchor bolt is used. If it exceeds, you will have to make a power frame that will distribute the load over the entire surface of the ceiling.
- Support. The support does not require such efforts as when installing a ceiling mount - it comes with the chair, comes with it in the kit, relatively easily rearranges from place to place, if desired, even from room to room. The disadvantage of her one - cumbersome. Together with her, it will occupy most of the room, in a small room it will simply not look.
Armchair with support is easier to install indoors.
By successfully combining the mount with the form, you can get a great comfortable place to rest.BoardIf you really want a rattan hanging, and there is little space in the house, attach a swing to the ceiling. They look elegant, complement the interior and at the same time take up almost no space. Return to the menu
How to choose in the store?
It is interesting to make an armchair with your own hands, but if you don’t want to spend time or are not confident in your abilities, you can always buy something ready-made - good, there are a lot of designs, some of them will be suitable.
These chairs are non-toxic.
When buying you need to consider:
- Dimensions. Measure the height of the ceilings, the width, the length of the place to which you intend to install. It is also useful to know your approximate size, so as not to buy a chair that is too small for you.
- Quality. First, the seller, upon request, must provide you with a certificate guaranteeing the quality of a particular product (this is especially important with plastic, since it can be harmful to health). Secondly, the material should look neat, no chips, roughness, stains.
- Frame mounts. The frame must be strong - for rattan they usually use it, only thicker elements. Mounts must also be strong.
- Degree of rigidity. If the rattan flexes easily under the arm, this is bad - it is easily deformed with constant use. If, on the contrary, remains motionless, this is also bad - it will be uncomfortable to sit, back will flow. The best option is elastic spring weaving.
- Convenience. Approximately deciding which chair you need, sit in it. Is it convenient? Is there where to put your head? Is it twisted to one side? Do you get your feet down to the floor?
Before buying, pay attention to all the nuances of implementation and the quality of the material
No bulging joints, no unpleasant stains, no sagging elements - and the construction will last for decades.BoardChoose a seller by reviews on the Internet, and not by advertising, but by real ones, on the forums. This is the best way to separate conscientious workers from dishonest ones. Return to menu
How to do it yourself?
You can buy a chair if you like this idea. But in the same way, you can do it yourself if you like to try new things or find the concept itself attractive.
Such furniture can be made by hand
You can do it yourself:
- macrame chair - small, round, without armrests, with a woven bottom;
- armchair with a cover - soft, cozy, also round, on a rattan frame;
- wicker chair - cocoon, ideally corresponding to ideas about rattan chair in general;
For relaxation - the perfect model.return to menu ↑
Weaving a rattan macrame chair is easy, even if you have never woven from a rod before. It will take:
- rattan rods - for the first time it is better to take plastic, because it is easier for them;
- two wooden hoops, one with a diameter of seventy cm, the second with a diameter of one hundred and ten - you can make them right there from rattan, weaving it with a pigtail and securing it with durable threads (but first you need to make sure that they can withstand the weight of the structure);
- slings, thick cord, wooden rods with a diameter of three centimeters;
- scissors, tape measure, gloves for work.
It is not difficult to weave such a chair with your own hands.
The instruction is not particularly complex:
- A small hoop that will serve as a seat should be braided with rattan rods. In a simple form, the bars are attached to it, drilling holes for them. They are fastened in one direction, parallel to each other, at a distance of about half a centimeter, and then weave thin rods into them. The first is applied to the first support, is passed under the next, goes over the third, is passed under the fourth - and so on.The second rod does the same, but in reverse order.
- When the seat is ready, the surface of both hoops is braided with a cord in order to achieve greater strength. Every twenty turns - utyazhka, in which you need to tighten the cord as much as possible.
- Braided, both hoops are connected. In one place they are wound tightly with the same cord, in the place of the opposite two wooden rods are attached - they can be tied down, they can be nailed. Their height depends solely on the desired height of the backrest.
- With the help of a cord, the resulting construction is braided around the perimeter in the macrame technique. A simple option is chess. At regular intervals, cord segments are attached to the large hoop. After contact with each other, forming the first row of nodes. Then the ends are tied further to form cells in the form of rhombuses.
The main thing is to first fasten the cords around the perimeter.
Slings are attached to the final chair - two on the back, two on the spot where the hoops are tied to each other - and fastened together on the same carbine, which can already be fixed to the ceiling. Colors in the process, you can choose any.BoardWork all the time in gloves, otherwise you will receive not only a new piece of interior, but also a blister. Return to the menu
Weaving a full cocoon with your own hands is not a trivial task, but not because of complexity, but because of how much patience is required. You will need:
- rattan rods - about four hundred pieces, with a diameter of not more than one and a half centimeters;
- wooden hoop - or made of rattan rods, woven oblique;
- durable twine, glue, pruner, awl, knife, ruler;
- cord - four millimeters, the color of the vine (or additional twigs, if you want to make the whole chair woven);
It takes a little patience to get such a chair.
The manufacturing process takes place sequentially:
- Hoop flatten to become oval. The rods should be attached to it vertically, so that from above they are no more than half a centimeter apart, in the middle they bend into the depths, moving apart and forming that part of the chair where they are supposed to sit, and get together again.
- Fastening is carried out simply - the rod is bent over the edge of the hoop as far as possible, and then grabs it with a strong cord so that it does not straighten back.
- The resulting frame of the chair is braided with thin rods from the bottom up, with the simplest weaving, as in the case of the macrame chair. The ends of the rods are attached to the vine, wrapped around it.
- The result is wrapped with a cord around the hoop to hide possible errors, bulging rods, and other decorative defects.
- To the top point of the hoop, to the two points below, the slings are attached - a strong knot.
- Above the chair, the slings are tied, fixed with a carbine, and then attached to the ceiling.
To sit on such a chair was softer, it is good to put a pillow in it. It turns out it is easy, you can hang it anywhere in the house.
Add some pillowsreturn to menu ↑
Chair with cover
The chair with the cover is soft, cozy, not distinguished by the elegance of a purely rattan version, but still beautiful. He will not have to weave, and sew. For this useful sewing machine. You will need:
- a rattan hoop, two round cuts of fabric several centimeters larger than its size;
- synthetic winterizer for stuffing, slings;
- threads, needles, other sewing accessories.
Such a chair is made as simple as possible, but you can decorate it by adding color pattern, embroidery, appliqué to the fabric, braiding the visible parts of the hoop with colored threads, hanging curvy brushes along its edges. Any manifestation of fantasy is good; it will make the result more colorful and interesting.return to menu ↑
We fit into the design
When the chair is purchased (or made) it remains only to fit it into the design of the room so that it looks harmonious. You can use it in different places:
- In the living room. Here is a better place to place a chair. First, under it you can select a cozy corner in which everything will be accentuated on rest, rest. Secondly, gathering guests, you can always put someone in and enjoy the reaction. Thirdly, it will fit into the interior of the living room the easiest way - especially if it is something not too pretentious.
- In the bedroom. It is also a good decision, because it allows you to relax not in bed, which is inconvenient, but on a specially designated chair. It is better to use suspended models, because the construction on the support will create a feeling of congestion in the room.
- In the nursery. For children, a rattan chair is a real playground, swings in your own home. Brightly colored, decorated with the forces of a child, it will look organically, as well as delight the little inhabitants of the room.
- In the kitchen. In a small kitchen, it does not fit, but if the room is large and you live alone, the rattan chair will be a good substitute for an ordinary sofa or simple chairs. It is better to choose an artificial material - it is, if anything, easier to clean.
- On the loggia. If the loggia is allocated to a resting place where it is good to read, to admire the view from the height, to have breakfast - the rattan chair will fit into this concept just fine. The main thing is not to use too bulky structures. Even on a large loggia, they will look scary.
Choosing a style of interiorColor also plays a role. Natural wood is suitable for almost all interiors, but the bright plastic color of artificial rattan is no longer for everyone. It needs to be entered carefully, being guided by color of wall-paper and a floor, perhaps, to choose the muffled option.
It doesn't matter if you buy a chair or make it yourself - the essence will not change.
In any case, you will find a beautiful thing that diversifies the interior of your home and will delight you.